07 May 2011

Savage Beauty

Favorite McQueen Moment


My copy of "Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty" came in today's post.  Amazing, amazing, amazing.  Robert and I sat down and immediately went through each page like reading a favorite children's story.  Each photo is breathtaking.  Each quote inspiring.  And the tragic ending is bittersweet when you consider what an impact McQueen had and the respect he deserves for living a life on his terms.

Favorite Alexander McQueen quotes from the book:

"I want to empower women.  I want people to be afraid of the women I dress."

"I'm an avid follower of the news, and sometimes you just can't take any more war, any more disasters, and you want to remind yourself there's beauty in the world."

"Birds in flight fascinate me.  I admire eagles and falcons.  I'm inspired by a feather but also its color, its graphics, its weightlessness and its engineering.  It's so elaborate.  In fact I try and transpose the beauty of a bird to women."

"Women should look like women.  A piece of cardboard has no sexuality."

Robert and I are going to NYC in a few weeks and I'm so looking forward to the exhibit at the Met.  Today's new treasure has been a great little moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment