20 July 2010

Packing Pretty Part 2


Carryon Queen

I so wish I could just do a carryon, but sadly, I can’t. However, the art of carrying on is important to master:

In my overhead wheelie carryon I pack:  laptop and cords; emergency freshen up kit (panties, tanktop, mini toiletries kit and makeup, flipflops, socks, earplugs, lip balm); jewelry; prescriptions; chargers (phone charger; kindle charger;  ipod charger); magazine; anything else fragile.

In Flight Essentials:  The Shopper and the Woobie

Shopper: I don’t know how I lived without it!  Very useful for getting around the two-bags carryon rule if you want to have a wheelie, briefcase and handbag – I can stuff my handbag, pashmina, book,and misc bits in the shopper to get it through security and on the plane as one bag.  Then, when I’m on board I pop my wheelie in the overhead and dissemble my shopper so everything is where I want it. 

The shopper also carries my Burberry ‘woobie’ – found at a Burberry outlet a million years ago, this is a stole-sized mini silk ‘quilt’ with pockets in Burberry plaid.  It’s saved my life on freezing flight, flights sitting next to smelly people, flights sitting next to loud people (I actually put in the headphones and wrap it around my head like a cocoon!  I don’t care if I look nuts – I’ll BE nuts if I have to listen to their incessant yammering for 15 hours!!!), in lieu of a pillow, when the seat looks questionable…on and on.  An oversized pashmina in a tan color (we love to travel with things that are the color of dirt! makes it simple!!) will also work – but it’s not as comfy.

Suitcase packing 101:
I only ever pack wheelie duffel bags – love the ones from Brics.  They collapse when you store them and you can stuff them over the top if necessary.  If you pack well, everything will be safer than if you use a hard suitcase.  Plus, they’re much lighter than regular bags to keep you under the weight restrictions.

  1. Take all clothing – dresses, trousers, tops
  2. Lie it out flat on the bed – longest items first, but make sure the bottom piece is darker colored. (I leave hangers on – but that’s optional.)
  3. Start at the top and roll it into one big clothing enchilada  (if you have anything big and fragile to pack – put it in the middle of the enchilada for cushioning!)
  4. Insert in suitcase
  5. Put shoes inside the ends of the bag where you have empty space – tuck fragile items into sneakers and shoes with socks for padding
  6. Swimwear and lingerie go in smaller ‘enchiladas’ to fit in spaces
Et voila!  You're packed and ready to go!


Xx
Coni


www.bloom-svc.com
coni.eden@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment